Settings Retention Issue in PCem V17

Support and general discussion.
AnthroAdman

Settings Retention Issue in PCem V17

Post by AnthroAdman »

I recently compiled a copy of PCemV17 on Debian, but whenever I go to create a machine, all of the settings are zeroed-out to default values when I save them and run the machine. I’m not sure if this is a bug or what, but it’s rendering the software completely unusable for me.
williammassey

Re: Settings Retention Issue in PCem V17

Post by williammassey »

AnthroAdman wrote: Mon 11 Dec, 2023 1:43 pm I recently compiled a copy of PCemV17 on Debian, but whenever I go to create a machine, all of the settings are zeroed-out to default values when I save them and run the machine. I’m not sure if this is a bug or what, but it’s rendering the software completely unusable for me. uno online
I also encountered the same issue. Did you find the solution?
Last edited by williammassey on Wed 10 Jan, 2024 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Just to be sure. You are talking about setting of the emulated PC, not the BIOS settings, right?

Empty BIOS settings is normal for a new emulated PC.

Please check the permissions of the files in the ~/.pcem directory. Also check the pcem.cfg file for file locations and check those permissions as well.
AnthroAdman

Post by AnthroAdman »

Yes, although now the program just seems to be crashing when I do anything after running it.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Have you tried changing the virtual cmos battery?
AnthroAdman

Post by AnthroAdman »

I don't think it's that. When I go to set something (I generally emulate a 486-based setup with a cyrix or AMD), save the settings, and go back to check if they were properly saved, I always just end up at the default 8088 configuration.
vintagegameQT

Post by vintagegameQT »

AnthroAdman wrote: Wed 17 Jan, 2024 5:52 pm I don't think it's that. When I go to set something (I generally emulate a 486-based setup with a cyrix or AMD), save the settings, and go back to check if they were properly saved, I always just end up at the default 8088 configuration.
try running PCem as Admin