original resolution output?

Support and general discussion.
serrith

original resolution output?

Post by serrith »

First, V10 is fantastic, thanks for the hard work.

Is it possible the original resolution?
If I force full screen it will scale to my desktop resolution, but is it possible to have the original resolution when you are in fullscreen?

I have an old crt but it looks horrible since the monitor doesn't receive 320x240 or 640x480 etc.
Is it possible to not use scaling but use the original resolution dos and the games used.

Thanks!
serrith

Re: original resolution output?

Post by serrith »

No one has an idea ?

Is what i ask just plain impossible (needs rewrite of the entire application or something like that ?) or is there just no demand for it ?
to be clear I DO USE A FLATSCREEN but i also still have an old CRT monitor and for dos programs and games it gives a far better and clearer image with no distortion due to scaling.

Dosbox is great but you just cannot emulate a "system" with it, but dosbox allows the output to output the original resolution.
It means that the image sent to the monitor is in 320*200 or 320*240 or 640*400 or 640*480 etc ... and not just scaled up.

I would just like to know if it is possible today with PCEM or if it will ever/never be implemented.

Thanks.

Serrith.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Yes, it's possible, but I'd imagine demand for this would be near non-existent. I can't speak for Tom, but I'd guess that you're likely the first person who has ever bothered to ask for this. That said, it's an understandable thing to want if you're one of the vanishingly few people running a modern PC with a CRT, and in theory should be doable. Whether any of us will do it anytime soon is a tougher question--we're spread pretty thin...
Battler

Post by Battler »

The issue is, it will look in accurate as best, and you'd lack some resolutions too, like a 720x400 graphics mode which you'd need to render the emulated text mode at native resolution, and even then it wouldn't quite look like the real thing because the timings for graphics modes are different from the ones for text modes. Add to the fact if the overscan ever gets *properly* emulated, it would become tricky do it at a native resolution so it looks like the real thing on the CRT. You would then need separate paths for rendering the overscan for native resolution (which would just send the data to the real CRT's overscan, which would however not work on a LCD), and non-native resolution (overscan rendered in software around the picture). Or maybe even a third path to blend the overscan into the picture for LCD native resolution purposes. It would be a lot of work. DOSBox gets away with it because its aim is not accuracy. PCem's aim, however, *IS* accuracy, so it would be more difficult to do full screen at native resolution.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

It's a bit impractical I'm afraid, and would probably require a rewrite of much of the video emulation, so it's very unlikely to happen.
serrith

Post by serrith »

Thanks for the replies.

I was afraid of that and i understand demand was low lol. It would have been fantastic to see it correctly on me old CRT :)

Thanks anyway for the fantastic emulator and the nice replies !
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

There's also the problem of actually achieving resolutions like 320x200 on a modern operating system. Windows, its drivers and modern video card may get in the way, even if all is OK with the monitor. The way to do this is doubling pixels and having black bars when the native resolution isn't a multiple. Also GPU shaders for emulating a CRT screen.
leilei

Post by leilei »

PCemFX was an old fork that added Dosbox's Direct3D shader support for PCem's Direct3D. It had cgwg/DOLLS' crt shader ported from BSNES (RetroArch has many more and better shaders, though it's very impractical to emulate PCs in that)

Real VGA pixeldoubles 320x200/240 as 640x400/480 anyway.