Win7 Direct3D fullscreen lock

Support and general discussion.
leilei

Win7 Direct3D fullscreen lock

Post by leilei »

Sometimes, I think after restoring or alttabbing, Direct3D fullscreen will be stuck there and not able to be switched back to a windowed state via the hotkey. It'll also interrupt the task manager if you Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring that up. It'll keep stealing the focus.

The only way to deal with this is to Switch User then go back, in which it'll no longer be stuck.
FredPJ

Re: Win7 Direct3D fullscreen lock

Post by FredPJ »

I'm also experiencing this Direct3D problem in Windows 10. When pressing Alt + Tab keys in fullscreen, the screen will flash the desktop for a second (fails to return to the desktop) then return to PCem but the screen will be all black. Since it remains stuck in this black screen it's not possible to open the Task Manager with Ctrl Alt Del, so I have no other option but to restart the (host) PC.

Also, with Direct3D on when PCem is in window mode, if you click the show desktop button (the button at the bottom right corner of the screen, next to the clock), and then click the PCem taskbar icon to go back to PCem again, the PCem window will NOT reappear and will remain invisible.
FredPJ

Post by FredPJ »

Does anyone else confirm these Direct3D problems?

Fullscreen: When pressing ALT+TAB, PCem steals the focus and the screen goes all black, doesn't return to the desktop or let you go back to windowed mode, forcing you to restart your PC.

Windowed: The PCem window disappears completely after clicking "Show Desktop", forcing you to close the PCem process.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

I can't reproduce the 'show desktop' bug, but can reproduce the fullscreen issue. For me it does respond to CTRL-ALT-PGDN, does it not do this for you?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Rev 368 contains some attempted fixes for the fullscreen issues, can you let me know if they work for you?
leilei

Post by leilei »

r. 367:

Show Desktop bug:

1. Start PCem
2. Check Resizable Window and Direct3D
3. Maximize
4. Click the Show Desktop button to hide everything.
5. Try clicking the PCem button in the task bar. It can't restore. It also can't close.

Fullscreen lock bug

1. Start PCem
2. Check Resizable Window and Direct3D
3. Fullscreen
4. Ctrl-Alt-Del
5. Watch PCem get stuck and override task manager
6. Switch to another user and open task manager there to close it.

I've noticed I can use Ctrl-Alt-Pgdn in 367 to get past that now, I couldn't months ago when I originally posted this thread.
FredPJ

Post by FredPJ »

v10 on Windows 10 bug report:

Fullscreen - Direct3D Alt+Tab bug
Alt+Tab still doesn't work in fullscreen with Direct3D enabled, but at least it doesn't remain locked in a black screen anymore:
When Alt+Tab is pressed once the screen turns black. If you press Alt+Tab again it finally returns to the desktop.

Windowed - Resizable window and Direct3D "Show Desktop" bug
The PCem window still vanishes after clicking the bottom right Show Desktop button if both "Resizable window" and "Direct3D" video options are enabled.