Can we have an OS X port, please?

Support and general discussion.
Katakis

Can we have an OS X port, please?

Post by Katakis »

I have a Mac 2012 system running OS X 10.10, and I read about PCEm on another forum. I decided to download it, but out of all the versions on offer (Win and Linux), I decided to use PCEm on Parallels Desktop 10 and have no problems with it except one. With this, I was able to run DOS 5.0 but because of this problem, I had to do everything in the MS-DOS Shell. I have no idea how to fix it inside Parallels, and running the emulator through CrossOver produces a crash right when it starts up, so I have no choice but to run it through PD. Don't get be wrong, PCEm is great, but Tom thinks OS X is not worthy of a port. So, is there any chance we will get to see an OS X port sometime in the future?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Can we have an OS X port, please?

Post by SarahWalker »

When have I ever said OS X is not worthy of a port? OS X doesn't have a port because :

- I don't own a Mac
- I don't really have time to support an OS X port as well as Windows and Linux - even Linux is barely supported at this stage
- No one else has volunteered to do one

If any one wants to port PCem to OS X then I'm quite happy to include it in the main codebase.
Alegend45

Post by Alegend45 »

TomWalker wrote:even Linux is barely supported at this stage
Yeah, Linux doesn't even support the dynarec. Or loading ISOs (oh wait windows doesn't support that either).
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

for what it's worth, it runs on WIne..
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

I'm afraid that I couldn't get it to work with Wine. I'm still having the same problem this person is having; it crashes immediately upon startup, and the logs show that this is a page fault. I even tried different engines.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

Actually, my problem was that I didn't add any ROMs yet for any system and it works now. Strange that PCem crashed instead of it giving the usual "no roms detected, exiting" message. I guess I can join the community proper.