questions about pcem

Support and general discussion.
Bighitti90

questions about pcem

Post by Bighitti90 »

For the first,thanks for this emulator. i have 2 questions about it:
1) how can i put the games into in?
2) i have installed yasterday by tutorial ecc,after shutdown the emu i have reopen and it said system boot fail again ecc.
omarsis81

Re: questions about pcem

Post by omarsis81 »

You need to create a virtual hard disk (PCem has the option when you select the HD)
Then you can open the IMA/IMG with any utility (I use WinImage) and inject the games file to the virtual hd

or...
you can mount a CD image with the game
the same goes to to floppy images. You can mount floppy images with game on it. You can create floppy images with WinImage too or dump any floppies you may have with a real computer
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

What kind of games would you like to play? DOS or Windows 9x?

For light DOS games an easy way would be to have a bootable DOS disk (you can get it from the internet very easly) and another drive (B:) with the game itself
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

dos games example: jungle book,lion king,earthworm jim
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Ok, get WinImage and a bootable DOS 6.22 disk image
Make the HDD image with PCem
Configure the BIOS
Boot PCem with the bootable disk inserted, run fdisk, format the HDD, make the C bootable by running SYS C: from the floppy drive
Quite cumbersome, but it is exactly as it was in the old days!
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

PCem is a simulator as well as an emulator; where an emulator just tries to emulate outward behaviour, a simulator tries to model exactly what happens in whatever you're simulating.

Stack Overflow on the difference between an emulator and a simulator: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/158 ... difference

Since PCem attempts to be accurate with respect to internals, it's also a simulator. This is also why it's so comparatively slow; PCem attempts to replicate the original experience on the original machines, right down to the timing of the instructions.

The Dolphin emulator, OTOH, is an emulator, and not much of a simulatoor. It attempts to emulate certain consoles well enough to reliably play games on them, but allows the use of things like modern graphics features and the full speed of your graphics card.
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

omarsis81 thanks for your time. i wanted to know if win98 is ok for dos games because i wanted to play also games 1998 2000,i followed tutorial for install windows but when i had shut down it and reopened it the system requested me again the system boot that i had put before for the installation. sorry for my ignorance but i'm not expert with these things :/.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

No problem! Windows 98 is OK for DOS gaming! But I'm not understanding what is your problem... Does Windows 98's setup shutdown when you try to install it?
What's your native language Bighitti90?
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

i had installed win98 on pcem with tutorial by google,when i turn off and after turn on pcem the system instead of loading the operating system I had previously installed, It ask me again if I want to create the partition dos ecc.
JosepMa

Post by JosepMa »

@bighitti90 : Most probably you still have the cd Image loaded into pcem. See the menu "CD-ROM" and set it to empty. Or if you used a floppy to load the CD, then you might also need to remove the floppy. See Disk: eject Drive A
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

i have solve the problem! thanks to joseph and omarsis81!
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

another question if possible,when i start jungle book games it say error writting files,lion king and earthworm jim works but they haven't music.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Bighitti90 wrote:another question if possible,when i start jungle book games it say error writting files,lion king and earthworm jim works but they haven't music.
Most DOS games need to be configured before its execution with an utility called "setup" or similar, you need to configure the sound card properly, and of course have the "sound blaster 16" or compatible in the PCem configuration.
Oh, and the Sound Blaster 16 (or similar) drivers loaded in the OS
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

i have tried to install by setup but said me unable to open file.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I will try those games myself in a couple of days
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

thanks!
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I think I figured out what happens with Earthworm Jim.
This game has Audio tracks.
I first ran the with the PCem's image option of CUE/BIN, and I believe the music begins to sound, but stops after 1 or 2 seconds.
Then, I mounted the image with a host utility (Alcohol 120%) and chose PC'em option of "host CD" and then music works perfect.

So, CUE/BIN probably has a bug with audio tracks, I will keep testing tough

I haven't run Lion King yet

Edith: or maybe you mounted an ISO image that has no audio tracks and you will never get music that way
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

thanks for testing! do you have play in win98 or win95? i have used imageburn for transfer the iso and then i have mounted by option iso in pcem,can you test jungle book? this games doesn't work at me
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

There is no need to transfer anything! What is the original extension you have for Earthworm Jim? If you downloaded and ISO file it won't have music no matter what
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Bighitti90 , well , do not expect to have sound tracks (ala CD music) if you make an iso from ripped game. so, no music. or do you mean that Earth worm jim has no sound? cos the 8.322kb .dat file might only have some MIDI in it. so you mean No Music? or No Sound?
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

the game has sound but no music
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

So like Omarsis81 said, the game has audio Tracks written on the disc, and it plays CD audio during gameplay. You have only ripped game files , in that case there will be no music. You must get original CD or .iso dump from original CD with Audio tracks on it.
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

how i can get it? sorry for ignorance
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

omarsis81 can you say me in private where you have downloaded the game?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I tested Jungle Book. Music and sound works
Music is in MIDI format. Maybe you don't listen to it because it has very low volume. (An already well known issue in PCem)
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

it's possible that windows 98 is uncompatible with dos games? jungle book at me doesn't work it say error writting files ecc. anyway thanks for tryied help me! :)
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Most DOS work fine under Windows 9x
As a matter of fact I tested Jungle Book under Windows 98SE
I installed it from the same source as yours.
Hmm, and now that I remember I didn't install it haha! I just uncompressed the file, copied to the virtual HD and run it from Windows 98SE

Can you post a picture of your error? I bet you have a configuration issue
Do you have sound when Windows starts?
Bighitti90

Post by Bighitti90 »

i record this video,i hope that it can be useful.

https://vimeo.com/236974220
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

You're running the game from the CD and the game wants to write something to it and, of course as it a CD-ROM it can't write. Copy all the contents of the CD to a folder in the hard disk and run it from there