[request] Implement onboard chips emulation

Discussion of development and patch submission.
altheos

[request] Implement onboard chips emulation

Post by altheos »

Hello,

I don't know if it's difficult to do but some emulated PCem boards (Intel Advanced/EV for instance) have onboard chips that aren't emulated : S3 Trio 64V+, SB Vibra 16.
Is it possible to add onboard chips emulation for future version please ?

Regards.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: [request] Implement onboard chips emulation

Post by SarahWalker »

SB16 should be possible - PCem currently doesn't have any infrastructure for onboard audio but it shouldn't be too hard to add.

PCem doesn't currently emulate the Trio64V+ so that would be more difficult to add. Most Advanced/EVs don't have it anyway :)
leilei

Post by leilei »

I think it's the other way around. Vibra16's sharper sounding and more often than not has CQM instead of YMF262 (which isn't emulated by anything in the world afaik). Emulating a Vibra16 would also lead towards emulating a SB32 and AWE64 (which is further integrated and doesn't allow any real ymf262 ever).

Trio64V+ is just a Trio64 with a streams processor. Speaking from a naive paste-relevant-parts-from-virge-code idea though...
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

leilei wrote: Mon 22 Jan, 2018 5:41 pmTrio64V+ is just a Trio64 with a streams processor. Speaking from a naive paste-relevant-parts-from-virge-code idea though...
They seem to have grafted on the ViRGE's MMIO system as well. Possibly some other tweaks?

For accurate emulation we'd also need a dump of the video BIOS actually used with the Advanced/EV. And I've yet to come across an Advanced/EV that actually has the Trio64V+ fitted.
altheos

Post by altheos »

Do the mainboard BIOS not have already video BIOS code inside ?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Nope. It's entirely separate.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Funny that this should come up now, I was actually just thinking recently about how nice it would be to have Trio64V+ and Vibra16 emulation in PCem, not specifically the integrated Advanced/EV versions but just generally speaking. I had a couple of standalone Trio64V+ and Vibra16 cards back in the day and there were definitely times where the difference from a standard Trio64 or SB16 was significant.
BoisterousSleet75

Post by BoisterousSleet75 »

ecksemmess wrote: Sat 27 Jan, 2018 7:53 pm Funny that this should come up now, I was actually just thinking recently about how nice it would be to have Trio64V+ and Vibra16 emulation in PCem, not specifically the integrated Advanced/EV versions but just generally speaking. I had a couple of standalone Trio64V+ and Vibra16 cards back in the day and there were definitely times where the difference from a standard Trio64 or SB16 was significant.
i'm agreed with this.
Long Live Marxism-Leninism-Maoism! ☭