[SOLVED] PCem screen stretch when attempting to restart

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

[SOLVED] PCem screen stretch when attempting to restart

Post by ppgrainbow »

I have a run into a problem when it comes to shutting down and manually restarting PCem v9 r328 (80486DX4 100MHz based Award SiS 496/497 machine, 64 MB RAM, Number Nine 9FX graphics w/2 MB VRAM).

After installing Internet Explorer 5 (16-bit), on Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 SP5, I'm prompted to restart the computer. I'm greeted with the shutdown dialog that says:
Shutdown Computer

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
But when I press the Restart button, this is what happens when I'm prompted to restart the emulated machine:
NT 3.51 screen stretch.png
NT 3.51 screen stretch.png (253.55 KiB) Viewed 7137 times
The screen gets stretched and I had to hard reset the emulated machine! Unfortunately, I had to take a screenshot of my whole desktop, because the stretched screen was too big to fit the monitor.

I hope that this issue gets fixed so that will improve Windows NT stability.

By the way, has anyone experience the screen stretch issue upon being asked to restart the computer in other versions of Windows NT (NT 3.1, 3.5, 3.51 or 4.0)?
Last edited by ppgrainbow on Mon 31 Aug, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nerd73

Re: PCem screen stretch when attempting to restart

Post by nerd73 »

ppgrainbow wrote:I have a run into a problem when it comes to shutting down and manually restarting PCem v9 r328 (80486DX4 100MHz based Award SiS 496/497 machine, 64 MB RAM, Number Nine 9FX graphics w/2 MB VRAM).

After installing Internet Explorer 5 (16-bit), on Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 SP5, I'm prompted to restart the computer. I'm greeted with the shutdown dialog that says:
Shutdown Computer

But when I press the Restart button, this is what happens when I'm prompted to restart the emulated machine:
The screen gets stretched and I had to hard reset the emulated machine! Unfortunately, I had to take a screenshot of my whole desktop, because the stretched screen was too big to fit the monitor.

By the way, has anyone experience the screen stretch issue upon being asked to restart the computer in other versions of Windows NT (NT 3.1, 3.5, 3.51 or 4.0)?
Unrelated, but I have a hanging issue when I try to restart in any of the 9x versions, or even Windows 2000.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

nerd73 wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:I have a run into a problem when it comes to shutting down and manually restarting PCem v9 r328 (80486DX4 100MHz based Award SiS 496/497 machine, 64 MB RAM, Number Nine 9FX graphics w/2 MB VRAM).

Shutdown Computer

Unrelated, but I have a hanging issue when I try to restart in any of the 9x versions, or even Windows 2000.
Oh no! I bet that you're on the same boat as I am. I bet that this is not just a PCem related screen-stretch, plus a hanging issue also.

Also, PCem does not have the ability to close the emulated machine once Windows 9x/2000 shuts down as well.
leilei

Post by leilei »

I used to trigger the stretch bug by switching a platform or video card before maximizing in Direct3D sometimes. Swtiching off Resizable Window and to DirectDraw and back to D3D fixed that.

The supported non-laptop motherboard chipsets are pre-ATX and hence doesn't do the 'shutdown' AFAIK. I know my actual 430HX doesn't do it.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

leilei wrote:I used to trigger the stretch bug by switching a platform or video card before maximizing in Direct3D sometimes. Swtiching off Resizable Window and to DirectDraw and back to D3D fixed that.

The supported non-laptop motherboard chipsets are pre-ATX and hence doesn't do the 'shutdown' AFAIK. I know my actual 430HX doesn't do it.
I do not even have the Resizable Window enabled in Settings > Video and the stretch bug is often present upon restarting the computer. Doing a Hard Reset (found in the File menu) only temporary resolved the stretch bug upon restarting the emulated SiS 496/497 machine fixed this, but it's not a permanent fix.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Rev 332 should fix this.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:Rev 332 should fix this.
Thank you for fixing this bug. :)