CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Support and general discussion.
Post Reply
Solstar82
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu 12 May, 2016 9:19 am

CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by Solstar82 » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 7:34 pm

I-m trying to load various cd rom images, and none of them works, after i select the image, i have none in the cdro mdrive in windows 98, and the gui on top of the emu window won't respond to any command. The emulator still works but i cannot even exit the emu this way, i have to terminate the task

User avatar
omarsis81
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by omarsis81 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:07 pm

Is that image from a game?
Can you mount those images with another emulator outside PCem? Like Alcohol or Demon Tools?

User avatar
leilei
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by leilei » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 10:39 pm

I'd assume this is the WX mouse locking problem with the window focus, reproducible by doing this:

- open a CD-rom or shader manager window
- Tab to another window
- Close another window
- Witness your mouse get stuck in the center of the PCem window

Solstar82
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu 12 May, 2016 9:19 am

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by Solstar82 » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 7:25 pm

omarsis81 wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:07 pm
Is that image from a game?
Can you mount those images with another emulator outside PCem? Like Alcohol or Demon Tools?
its a demo cd found in many magazine of 1996.

image works fine with vmware and yes, even with 86box no problem

Solstar82
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu 12 May, 2016 9:19 am

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by Solstar82 » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 7:30 pm

leilei wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 10:39 pm
I'd assume this is the WX mouse locking problem with the window focus, reproducible by doing this:

- open a CD-rom or shader manager window
- Tab to another window
- Close another window
- Witness your mouse get stuck in the center of the PCem window
i tried that and the mouse won't get stuck..it just won't load any iso and i cannot access the interface anymore, i cannot even close the mu by pressing X on the top roght corner. i have to force close it with task manager

using same config and same hd image instead works fine on 86box

here's a video i made that shows the issue

https://youtu.be/kCMEkr4cI7M

Solstar82
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu 12 May, 2016 9:19 am

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by Solstar82 » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 1:11 pm

...nobody?

shermanp
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 2:09 am

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by shermanp » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 9:39 pm

Have you tried creating a new config? There may be some issue with the current config file you're using that's causing a problem.

I am unable to reproduce the issue here. CD images load just fine for me.

Van Slanzar de Fanel
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 3:38 pm

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by Van Slanzar de Fanel » Fri 13 Jul, 2018 1:30 am

I've been having a similar issue. It's the whole reason I registered with this forum. Using v14, in either MS-DOS 6.22 or Win98SE in DOS mode, tried with multiple CD drivers, everything is detected correctly, but trying to access the disk causes PCEm to crash. When I boot Win98SE fully it works just fine. It also worked off the Win98SE boot disk when installing it. But that's it. Checking the log gets the error: Device failed to request command.

User avatar
omarsis81
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu 17 Dec, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by omarsis81 » Fri 13 Jul, 2018 6:25 pm

Van Slanzar de Fanel wrote:
Fri 13 Jul, 2018 1:30 am
I've been having a similar issue. It's the whole reason I registered with this forum. Using v14, in either MS-DOS 6.22 or Win98SE in DOS mode, tried with multiple CD drivers, everything is detected correctly, but trying to access the disk causes PCEm to crash. When I boot Win98SE fully it works just fine. It also worked off the Win98SE boot disk when installing it. But that's it. Checking the log gets the error: Device failed to request command.
You said you tried with different CD drivers, are you refering to those drivers you load in CONFIG.SYS?

Van Slanzar de Fanel
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 3:38 pm

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by Van Slanzar de Fanel » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 6:37 pm

omarsis81 wrote:
Fri 13 Jul, 2018 6:25 pm
Van Slanzar de Fanel wrote:
Fri 13 Jul, 2018 1:30 am
I've been having a similar issue. It's the whole reason I registered with this forum. Using v14, in either MS-DOS 6.22 or Win98SE in DOS mode, tried with multiple CD drivers, everything is detected correctly, but trying to access the disk causes PCEm to crash. When I boot Win98SE fully it works just fine. It also worked off the Win98SE boot disk when installing it. But that's it. Checking the log gets the error: Device failed to request command.
You said you tried with different CD drivers, are you refering to those drivers you load in CONFIG.SYS?
Yes, that's correct. I had a MSCDEX install disk that included a driver from LG, and I also used the well known OakCDRom.sys and VIDE-cdd.sys. All with MSCDEX 2.23 or 2.25. The config.sys driver loads. MSCDEX assigns a drive letter to it. I'm able to switch to that drive, but any access (even as simple as a dir) and I see no access on the machine window, and in a few seconds, PCEm just shuts down, leaving me with only that error in the log.

Post Reply