SCSI controller/CD combinations that work?

Support and general discussion.
RichCini

SCSI controller/CD combinations that work?

Post by RichCini »

All --

As I play around with PCem and try things out, I'm experiencing some problems with CD-ROM emulation on SCSI-based host interfaces, really to match a particular machine I had many years ago.

I first tried a PS/2 Model 80 with the default IBM SCSI adapter (which is what I had long ago). The hard drive works fine (a 320MB IBM drive), and the required CD-ROM drivers load with no errors (aspi4b, ibmcdrom, and msxdex), the assigned drive letter isn't accessible. I ensured that the attached ISO image worked, so I'm pretty sure it's not the image. Also, the IBM CD driver needs a switch "/i" to accept non-IBM CD drives. I don't have any IBM-branded CD-ROM drives to grab the ID strings from, so I can't add it to the source and try it.

With the IBM not working, I made a "generic 386 clone" setup using the Adaptec SCSI adapter with a 300mb hard drive (ID=0, ST1401N) and CD (ID=2). Confirmed the port and ROM location matches the Adaptec setup (port 334, ROM=DC000). When you load the ROM setup for the first time, I changed to IRQ=10, DMA=7 and Controller ID=7. The controller will format the drive without complaining but won't identify either device on boot-up. I tinkered with the identify and start settings, but it doesn't seem to matter. Not sure the IRQ and DMA are correct, though.

So, I switched to the BusLogic controller. This one seems to work better...it identifies the hard disk and CD-ROM drive (and boots), but when you load the required SCSI CD-ROM drivers in MS-DOS (btdosm and btcdrom), btdosm loads fine, but btcdrom barfs. You need to set the correct port on the command line ("/p334") but that's it. Getting closer...

Finally, I tried the Trantor T130B controller. I found DOS drivers, but no instructions for the software, so I just guessed and loaded MA13B.SYS and TSLCDR.SYS drivers along with MSCDEX and this combination appears to work just fine with the same image I tried on the PS/2 setup. From the manual, it doesn't look like the T130B uses an IRQ, but it doesn't mention DMA.

If anyone has a working SCSI setup on the PS/2 or a clone with the Adaptec controller, please let me know. I don't know if it's an issue with the IRQs or something else. Hopefully the above will help others getting a working SCSI/CD combination.

Thanks again for a great emulator. It's been a fun project so far this weekend playing with it.

Rich
leilei

Re: SCSI controller/CD combinations that work?

Post by leilei »

I've a Sis496 486 config with Adaptec AHA-1542C and the CD-ROM works using Adaptec's ASPICD.SYS driver through MSCDEX 2.23.

334h, IRQ 10, DMA 7, SCSI ID 7
RichCini

Post by RichCini »

Ok, this is helpful, thanks. Will give a fresh configuration a try.

Rich
matti157

Post by matti157 »

leilei wrote: Sun 14 Mar, 2021 11:49 pm I've a Sis496 486 config with Adaptec AHA-1542C and the CD-ROM works using Adaptec's ASPICD.SYS driver through MSCDEX 2.23.

334h, IRQ 10, DMA 7, SCSI ID 7
The CD player does not work on my configuration on DOS 6.22, I have these identical settings

MSCDEX included in DOS 6.22
Sis 496/497
ASPI4DOS and ASPICD downloaded from Adaptec website in config.sys
ATI Video Xpression
Voodoo graphics
Sound Blaster AWE32

The drive is seen with the letter D, but when I try to access it I always get error CDR101 "Not ready reading drive D"

I also tried with the Windows 98 SE boot disk which includes Adaptec drivers, same behavior, sees drive D but gives error 101

Ideas?
edilson

Post by edilson »

I had same issues with CD-ROM.
I was using Novell NE2000 in the vm, so there was a conflict with IRQ 10.
After I disabled the nic the cdrom mounted properly as expected.
Another fix is to assign a valid IRQ.

Maybe this IRQ conflict can explain why I had data loss in my hdd too.

EDIT:
It worked in one machine, I can't make it work again...
so my workaround is invalid :P sorry
ruben_balea

Post by ruben_balea »

That error CDR101 can happen (at least) with the Adaptec SCSI CD-ROM driver ASPICD.SYS
MSCDEX recognizes the drive and assigns it a drive letter, but cannot read anything from it and displays the message CDR101: Not ready reading drive D ("D" or whatever drive letter corresponds to the CD-ROM drive)
The culprit seems to be SMARTDRV, to prevent this error SMARTDRV.EXE should be loaded after MSCDEX.EXE (Both are usually loaded in autoexec.bat)

:arrow: This is not a PCem bug, the same thing also happens on physical machines and with other models of Adaptec SCSI controllers using the ASPICD.SYS driver.