Cannot format blank floppy disk ?!

Support and general discussion.
Sebiohazard

Cannot format blank floppy disk ?!

Post by Sebiohazard »

Good morning all !

I have a problem with PCem when creating a blank 1.44 MB floppy disk. After creating & inserting the virtual floppy disk in drive A: of PCem unable to format it under DOS 6.22 why ?

If I create the same floppy disk with Winimage I don't have this problem, the formatting goes smoothly why ?
How to proceed ?

Greetings !
teppic

Re: Cannot format blank floppy disk ?!

Post by teppic »

You need to give more details than "it doesn't work" for any report to be useful (i.e. which machine config, error msg, etc).

That said I'm guessing it's the same issue as this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3640
Sebiohazard

Post by Sebiohazard »

Good evening!

Yes it is exactly the same problem but apparently it never received a response ?! Why does formatting stop ? If I create a blank floppy disk with WinImage why does it work ?

Greetings !
teppic

Post by teppic »

It doesn't work because it's a bug :p - Sarah reads the forums and so she will be aware of it and I'm sure it'll be fixed.
Sebiohazard

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello !

Thank you for your answer, I find it surprising that this bug has not yet been corrected after version 17 of PCem ?!

Greetings !
Sebiohazard

Post by Sebiohazard »

Sarah still hasn't intervened ?!
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

calm down a bit, people have lives
Sebiohazard

Post by Sebiohazard »

I do not understand your reaction ?!

This is an important bug & I wrote more than 10 days ago ?!
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

Lol, the entitlement...

It's likely Sarah has more shit going on in her life atm than immediately working on a bug that can be easily worked around. This isn't some company's software with deadlines, this is a personal project for free software that takes contributions. There's no urgency or 'schedule' to stick to. The source code is freely available - if you want it fixed sooner, fix it yourself and submit a patch.

Or if you don't know how to code - make your blank disk files using WinImage for now and she'll get to it when she does.
Zup

Post by Zup »

Maybe you should take a look at the FAQ for very urgent bugs...
teppic

Post by teppic »

In the meantime you can just use a machine with a non AMI bios and formatting works fine.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

For anyone trying to format a blank floppy disk, or in my case, a virtual floppy disk, I can confirm that this works well with WinImage, but it also works in PCem if you do it from Win 3.1. Your Windows formatted disk should work fine in DOS. I would still have to test it with WordPerfect 5.1 to make sure it works, but for now the disk reads just fine in DOS even though it was formatted with Win 3.1, not DOS.

PCem continues to impress me. It is not far from being able to directly compete with VMWare and VirtualBox for productivity software, not just games. For computer games, it is just better with PCem.

Almost all of my games work just fine in PCem. I love being able to use my virtual diskettes, which are derived from my old diskettes dating back well over 30 years.

PCem is an amazing program.