TIE Fighter CD DOS Version Works

Support and general discussion.
tk421

TIE Fighter CD DOS Version Works

Post by tk421 »

There has been some effort to get the TIE Fighter CD DOS version to work through DOS, and not Windows 95/98.

While my efforts to get this game to work in DOS on a 486 PC were not successful, I did get this game to work using a socket 7 based Pentium 75 PC in PCem. This Pentium 75 was using DOS 6.22 only. No versions of Windows were installed. With the following specs, TIE FIghter (CD DOS version) worked without difficulties:

PCem 13.1
Pentium 75 (socket 7 motherboard)
16mb of RAM
S3 Virge DX
SoundBlaster 2.0
2gb HDD
Mouse
NO Joystick required

This configuration worked for many newer DOS games that did not work with a 486 VM.

I welcome your input on this matter, especially If there is any way to get TIE Fighter (CD DOS version) to work with a 486 VM, let alone the AMI 486 Clone motherboard in PCem.

I have seen recent pages on the internet asking how to run TIE Fighter, so I hope this information is useful.

tk421
tk421

Re: TIE Fighter CD DOS Version Works

Post by tk421 »

I can confirm that the game TIE Fighter DOS for CD-ROM edition works fine in DOS on an emulated 486 PC in PCem v17.

My emulated PC specs:

AMI 486 Clone - DX4 100Mhz
no dynamic recompiler needed
16mb RAM
S3 Trio32, 2mb VRAM, Speed default
Sound Blaster 1.0
4x CD-ROM drive, PCemCD
3.5 inch floppy disk drive
40mb Hard Disk Drive
DOS 6.22
Windows 3.1

I installed Windows 3.1. I suspect win3.1 simply had better mouse drivers than DOS 6.22. I did not reinstall TIE Fighter. I did not need to use memmaker this time. When I restarted my emulated PC in PCem I still had to load mouse.com in the c:\ prompt.

I had to set the sound card details in DOS but to be honest the game works well now on a 486 DX4. The S3 trio32 seems to be the big change needed to get TIE Fighter DOS on CD-ROM working in DOS on a 486 so that a Pentium is not needed.

I hope this info helps,

tk421
creopard

Post by creopard »

Tie Fighter demands EMS memory in DOS.
Would you mind sharing your config.sys?
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

To enable EMS you should start with something like this:

Code: Select all

device=c:\dos\himem.sys /testmem:off
device=c:\dos\emm386.exe
dos=high,umb
If you have noems on the emm386.exe line remove it.