New hardware for PCem v18?

Discussion of development and patch submission.
DevanDrake99

New hardware for PCem v18?

Post by DevanDrake99 »

I've heard that the x86box emulates newer hardware including newer 3dfx Voodoo cards and Sound Blaster AWE64. I was wondering if v18 is in development.
unreal9010

Re: New hardware for PCem v18?

Post by unreal9010 »

PCem was the first emulator to come with 3Dfx Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3 and Voodoo Banshee support.
Also, Soundblaster AWE64 isn't exactly a "newer" card. It was released in mid-to-late 1996 and was based on an old ISA bus.
Since several years ago PCem emulates Sound Blaster 128 which is a PCI bus based card released in 1998.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

unreal9010 wrote: Fri 06 May, 2022 9:39 pm PCem was the first emulator to come with 3Dfx Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3 and Voodoo Banshee support.
Also, Soundblaster AWE64 isn't exactly a "newer" card. It was released in mid-to-late 1996 and was based on an old ISA bus.
Since several years ago PCem emulates Sound Blaster 128 which is a PCI bus based card released in 1998.
Well said!

PCem is innovative software. It is one of the best programs ever made. I am very pleased with the performance, stability and reliability of PCem. It is one of the rare examples of a computer program that delivers precisely on the promise made, in this case accurate emulation of PC hardware. PCem stands out from the crowd of computer programs out there. The best thing about PCem is that it works.

PCem has great Pentium, Pentium MMX, and Pentium 2 emulation features. It works great in combination with the Voodoo 2 and Voodoo 3 emulation.

PCem fills a critical gap in program compatibility. With PCem, I can run windows 95/98 and DOS programs, most of the time without difficulty. I install my programs, including games, and I can use them, often better than I could with my old win95/98 PCs. I can even use my modern USB joystick with PCem. I do not have to deal with the myriad of compatibility issues that come with running all of these programs and games on a modern PC.

PCem v17 is the newest version, and like its predecessors it is amazing. I look forward to future versions of PCem.
masonicon

Post by masonicon »

Pentium 3 or 4 CPU for PCem v18?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Pentium 3 is more feasible as it only requires a couple of new instructions (SSE).
leilei

Post by leilei »

i'd rather see a rise, k5, or an umc486 before either of those
tk421

Post by tk421 »

The issue of adding newer PC hardware to PCem is not only getting it done right, but also optimizing PCem so that such newer emulated hardware can be used on existing PCs, laptop and desktop computers.

If the Pentium 3 or 4 is added, it is not just the CPU, it is also the much newer motherboards, DDR RAM, video cards, EAX-compatible sound cards, USB, and even DVD burners too. Much of that is Windows XP territory, often with very different uses for a Pentium 3 or 4 PC in mind. Games like Rome Total War, Flight Simulator 2004, Star Wars Battlefront I and II, and even Star Wars Empire at War enter the equation at that point. Before long, even Battlefield 2 could be run in PCem. This much emulation is not easy for our current generation of PCs. Many of the XP era games can be run on modern PCs without much hassle.

The Pentium 4 may add great capabilities to PCem, but it is not the best CPU for running many XP era games. Newer CPUs are best for these types of games, especially ones like Rome Total War and Battlefield 2. Then we enter Win7 era hardware.

Sometimes I wonder if adding newer video cards is not the better way to go. riva tnt might be an option, but not if it burns out Michael or anyone else doing the coding.

Everyone wants newer PC hardware added to PCem, but it is very unlikely to happen anytime soon. I could be wrong, but I don't think so in this case.

PCem is a great program, and I am very grateful for all the work that went into making it what it is today.

tk421