[Suggestions]

Support and general discussion.
Antonio9947

[Suggestions]

Post by Antonio9947 »

Suggestions
1 They will add the voodoo 5500 or 4400 or even 6000 (a canceled Voodoo model) I think that would be great
2 you can put more than 512 mb of ram, I feel that there are times where it makes sense but not in all cases
3 They will add to the K6+ processors the version of the intel mmx but made by AMD the 3D Now!
Excuse me if I make many suggestions but I don't do it out of discomfort, I do it because I feel that there are times that I lack things.
leilei

Re: [Suggestions]

Post by leilei »

IMO:
1. not trivial. 3dfx never released as much info on the V5 that the V3 and prior had. There also isn't any CPU in the world to LLE it well theoretically.
2. not practical (especially with regards to the current generations PCem covers and the OSes many would most likely use with this)
3. they're already there. Every K6 has MMX, and every K6-2 has 3Dnow!. The +'s about cache, and these will only show up for Super Socket 7 boards.
Antonio9947

Re: [Suggestions] x2

Post by Antonio9947 »

1 Yes, but just because 3dfx hasn't released that much info on their voodoo 5 doesn't mean it's not impossible to emulate and I'm just giving suggestions.
2 furthermore I have not said in all the machines but in slot 1 with the celeron and the last pentium the gigabyte of ram was more normal also than with windows xp it would be much better
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

Antonio9947 wrote: Fri 08 Jul, 2022 12:44 pm 1 Yes, but just because 3dfx hasn't released that much info on their voodoo 5 doesn't mean it's not impossible to emulate and I'm just giving suggestions.
2 furthermore I have not said in all the machines but in slot 1 with the celeron and the last pentium the gigabyte of ram was more normal also than with windows xp it would be much better
1. Feature and performance-wise, there is a very subtle difference between Voodoo 3 (which is already emulated) and Voodoo 5 so it's really not worth the effort, especially when considering the lack of relevant information. And just like the Voodoo 3, Voodoo 5 doesn't support Hardware T&L either, meaning most games from mid 2002 onwards will not work with this card.
2. No Slot 1 machine could offer a decent Windows XP performance given its minimum requirements (233 Mhz CPU, 64 MB RAM). It's like running Windows 95 on 486 or early era Pentiums. I ran XP on my old 1Ghz AMD Duron with 256 MB RAM and although that configuration was above the recommended one, the performance was still far from perfect.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Antonio9947 wrote: Fri 08 Jul, 2022 12:44 pm 1 Yes, but just because 3dfx hasn't released that much info on their voodoo 5 doesn't mean it's not impossible to emulate and I'm just giving suggestions.
1. It'd still require reverse engineering, and also consider today's CPUs can't likely handle dealing with 2 VSAs doing a FSAA'd scene (which was just SSAA at this point in history)
2. 1GB of RAM started being "normal" in 2004-05. That's Pentium 4/Athlon64 era. Many many many XP-loaded OEM P4 machines were sold with just 256MB. You're probably giving up when WinXP is still going through the sluggish hardware detection phase - which is always slow on every PC regardless.
Arjen42

Re: [Suggestions]

Post by Arjen42 »

In 2001, Windows XP was brand new, I ran it on a 700 MHz Pentium III laptop with 384 MB. It ran fine, no problem. However 5 years later it would not. It actually needed 1 GB because 512 MB wasn't enough to manage all the updates. It would trash the hard drive, just like Windows 95 did on 8 MB machines. And about 1 to 2 years later you would need even 2 GB to get some work done running multiple applications. At work I got a brand new machine, when I asked to upgrade from 1 to 2 GB, my old computer being just 2,5 years old. Of course, I did not upgrading from a single core Pentium 4 to a Core 2 Duo. However, It didn't took long before that 2 GB was upgraded to 4 GB.