I just want to install Windows XP on this emulator

Support and general discussion.
jessieb97305

I just want to install Windows XP on this emulator

Post by jessieb97305 »

My computer is an ASUS B53J Series. I'm using WIndows 7 Pro 32bit, I've look all over the internet and youtube in order to accomplish this but no one seems to know how to put a decent video out online. So here is what I'm attempting to accomplish.

Windows XP through the emulator, with the largest hard drive possible, most ram possible, with internet access, and able to run my older games such as SWAT 3. I've tried Virtual PC and Virtualbox but again, no one seems be able to put out a decent video. Somewhere I don't remember I read that PCEm is much better than those other 2. If anyone can assist, I will need step by step instructions.
eddman

Re: I just want to install Windows XP on this emulator

Post by eddman »

You'd need to have a very powerful latest gen CPU to be able to play SWAT 3 at an acceptable performance level with PCem. Your laptop is nowhere near powerful enough. Besides, windows XP isn't exactly a good option for the max hardware that PCem emulates, pentium 2 and voodoo3.

I suggest you install the game natively on windows 7 and use a wrapper like dgvoodoo 2.

This could be helpful in case you encounter issues: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/SWAT_ ... ers_Battle
leilei

Post by leilei »

a mobile i5 2.4GHz isn't going to be enough to emulate SWAT 3. SWAT3's a CPU hog that calls for 400MHz P2s to be playable at the least. The game had unusually dense character models for the time, as well as the complex AI, and there's big lightmaps everywhere.

My current machine that can 100% the P2 266+V3 runs SWAT3 sloooowly.

A thing to understand about PCem vs any virtualizer, is that PCem uses the CPU to emulate *every* component of the PC and strives to replicate a diverse range of old PC parts at a low level. Virtualizers just emulate a basic 2d video card (sometimes with a buggy host GL API passthrough) and a generic sound card, and try to get the host CPU through as much as it can through its fictional fantasy motherboard with all the unforeseen bugs and issues to come from that, not quite representing anything of the old era. and then there's weird mouse locking and audio latency issues that won't get fixed because virtualizers aren't designed for entertainment as the focus, considering their important roles in IT industry. Any games that are perfectly playable in them are lucky side effects.
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

That laptop will struggle with a mid range Pentium classic in PCEM. My thinkpad which is a couple gen newer struggles with a 233mmx. Its about as smooth as a 160 grit hug.
The good news is that laptop is old enough to still have support for XP natively. Pick up an inexpensive sata platter drive and swap them out when the need arises. In fact I think that laptop has a cd caddy trey to put a second drive in that you can dual boot with.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

You might want try a similar game: XCOM Enemy Unknown that runs on Windows 7. I don't know If your laptop fast enough though.

I't's on sale now on Steam. For $6 you can you get the game and all the DLC. But hurry the offer expires in 20 min.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2005 ... y_Unknown/
leilei

Post by leilei »

SWAT3's a tactical first-person shooter. It's like Rainbow Six but with apprehensions
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

leilei wrote: Fri 29 Jul, 2022 7:25 pm SWAT3's a tactical first-person shooter. It's like Rainbow Six but with apprehensions
That is a great description! lol
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

leilei wrote: Fri 29 Jul, 2022 7:25 pm SWAT3's a tactical first-person shooter. It's like Rainbow Six but with apprehensions
Oh, I didn't knew that.

Well, your alternatives would be:
  • Find out ways to make SWAT 3 run under Windows 7, (This has already been suggested by somebody else above.) There are guides on the internet.
  • Try to find Windows XP drivers for your laptop, Asus usually keeps all downloads for old products on their website. If you can, get an extra 250 or 500 GB 2.5" hard drive. This way you can install Windows XP, without complicated dual boot configuration. Laptops from that time usually have a hatch a the back of the computer. Replacing a hard drive is really easy. Don't forget to remove the power cord and the battery first.
Update: I just downloaded and read the manual. Unfortunately, this laptop does not have a easily replaceable hard drive.
Update 2: According to one page. A few pages later it does have instructions on how replace the hard drive. You have to find out for it your self if this works out for you.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

Windows XPs minimum CPU requirement is a 233Mhz CPU with a 300Mhz recommended. Swat 3 itself calls for a minimum CPU of a Pentium II 266Mhz.

You're not getting anyway near that on a mobile i5 from 2010 when even my 5600X struggles to do a Pentium II 233Mhz at full torture load with performance enhancing hacks enabled via CMD launching.