will opencl support come to virtual gpu code?

Discussion of development and patch submission.
samanabi

will opencl support come to virtual gpu code?

Post by samanabi »

hi, as far as i understand, all gpu codes emulated on cpu and most of the pcem code written by c language. Converting c code to opencl code is easy and short proccess according to internet.
if one gpu emulation (lets say vodooo 3 3000, or s3 virge) converted to opencl, that means gpu codes will run on gpu cores, that means performance on gpu side skyrocket 100 maybe 1000 times. and also opencl is supported on windows and linux
leilei

Re: will opencl support come to virtual gpu code?

Post by leilei »

Name one emulator that can do all rendering in OpenCL and is actually faster.

PCSX2 once had an OpenCL renderer (2014-2020), it wasn't really faster and had to e stripped for adding too much building complications (conflicting SDKs) and nVidia didn't embrace OpenCL as much as AMD and Intel did, as they'd prefer vendor lock-in approaches with CUDA.

Dolphin's use of OpenCL's only for speeding up texture format decoding.
samanabi

Re: will opencl support come to virtual gpu code?

Post by samanabi »

leilei wrote: Fri 14 Oct, 2022 5:49 am Name one emulator that can do all rendering in OpenCL and is actually faster.

PCSX2 once had an OpenCL renderer (2014-2020), it wasn't really faster and had to e stripped for adding too much building complications (conflicting SDKs) and nVidia didn't embrace OpenCL as much as AMD and Intel did, as they'd prefer vendor lock-in approaches with CUDA.

Dolphin's use of OpenCL's only for speeding up texture format decoding.
if i understand correctly from your message, the number of proccessing cores(gpu cores) is not the bottleneck of emulation, in that case forgive for my ignorance. i read one message from sarah somewhere in forum, its something like "2000s gpu can have few gigaflops, and todays cpus arent powerfeul enough to emulate that much".