Can PCem Interface to Hardware?

Support and general discussion.
Mike

Can PCem Interface to Hardware?

Post by Mike »

I am new to PCem and I would like to know what PCem is capable of.

Can anyone tell me:

Is it possible for PCem to develop programs in old languages such as assembly language or C?

More importantly, can this retro solution develop programs that can input or output digital signals to hardware, (interface with hardware), i/o to a parallel port, or a game port?
NiagaraMike

Re: Can PCem Interface to Hardware?

Post by NiagaraMike »

I'm not an expert but from what I've encountered, it can't directly output to hardware. Everything goes through the host machine. However there may be a passthrough that is hidden somewhere in the settings.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Mike wrote: Sat 04 Mar, 2023 11:47 pm Is it possible for PCem to develop programs in old languages such as assembly language or C?
Yes, you can use old development tools inside PCem to develop software that runs inside or older personal computers. However you can also develop in assembly language or C on your normal computer.
Mike wrote: Sat 04 Mar, 2023 11:47 pm More importantly, can this retro solution develop programs that can input or output digital signals to hardware, (interface with hardware), i/o to a parallel port, or a game port?
PCem I/O capabilities are limited. Joystick and serial mouse are supported, but other use of serial port and parallel port are not supported.

If you need to maintain a legacy hardware/software solution. You'll probably need legacy hardware (at least for testing). If you're starting a new project you'll probably better of developing using modern development tools and technique.
leilei

Post by leilei »

If it's about industrial use to replace hardware, please be aware that PCem is designed for entertainment and does not offer full floating point precision (otherwise it'd be way too slow and unusuable). All FPU emulators take performance shortcuts and this is also true for 6th+ gen console emulators (PS2/DC etc).