How to import files into Windows XP on pcem

Support and general discussion.
Joemama

How to import files into Windows XP on pcem

Post by Joemama »

I've recently made a win xp vm on pcem. I cant find a way to import files from my host to it because win xp cannot read iso files. I've tried my best to look up as much as I could, but I can't find any post with the same issue as mine. I was wondering if there was any way I could import files without using the iso method, or if theres a way to make the computer read iso files.
Arjen42

Re: How to import files into Windows XP on pcem

Post by Arjen42 »

What program do you use to make the iso files?

If you use vhd as the disk image file format. You can mount those images on the host computer.
Joemama

Post by Joemama »

I use iso workshop.

Is windows xp able to read vhd files natively and is pcem able to use it?
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Iso workshop might create iso's with a newer version of udf than that Windows XP supports. You could try to create iso image files using a lower udf version or even ISO 9660 format.

I assume you run Windows 10 or 11 on your host computer. Windows can mount vhd and iso images since Windows 8. PCem can use vhd images, regardless of the operating system you install in your emPC.

I assume you installed Windows XP on a raw image file, that cannot be mounted by the host computer. I suggest you create a second hard disk image in vhd format. Mount this on your host computer. Copy all the files to this image. After that dismount the image. Add the image as a second hard disk in your Windows XP emPC.
harrison98

Post by harrison98 »

Joemama wrote: Wed 08 Mar, 2023 3:25 pm I cant find a way to import files from my host to it because win xp cannot read iso files.
I don't understand what you mean. I assume you've created an ISO on your host PC with files you want to transfer to the guest PC.

You don't need Win XP to read that ISO file. You need to load that ISO file into PCem's virtual CD-ROM drive. It will then show up as a CD-ROM in your guest Win XP.

Am I missing something about what you're trying to do?
siljo1

Post by siljo1 »

Or you can use ImDisk Toolkit and load your Pcem HDD to your windows10 machine like usb stick,copy files on HDD unmount and you are good to go :)
Joemama

Post by Joemama »

harrison98 wrote: Thu 09 Mar, 2023 12:29 am You don't need Win XP to read that ISO file. You need to load that ISO file into PCem's virtual CD-ROM drive. It will then show up as a CD-ROM in your guest Win XP.
Whenever I load it into the virtual CDROM drive it says its unable to read it. Sorry if I worded things wrong.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Joemama wrote: Thu 09 Mar, 2023 3:05 pm
harrison98 wrote: Thu 09 Mar, 2023 12:29 am You don't need Win XP to read that ISO file. You need to load that ISO file into PCem's virtual CD-ROM drive. It will then show up as a CD-ROM in your guest Win XP.
Whenever I load it into the virtual CDROM drive it says its unable to read it. Sorry if I worded things wrong.
No problem. Sorry, we cannot understand you. Nothing wrong with any language.

Let's tacle this step by step. Do regular iso images work? E.g. you probably installed Windows XP from an iso image. If those iso image work correctly then you should look for a different iso creation program. I myself use genisoimage, which is a command line tool, so it might not be the best choice for everyone.
eddman

Post by eddman »

PCem itself obviously supports ISO files, considering you managed to install windows XP.

If you mean they don't show up on the guest XP, then as Arjen42 mentioned, they are probably of a format that is not supported by XP.

I use CDBurnerXP to make them.

P.S.
I should note that there seems to be a slight issue, at least for me, where the CD drive's icon in XP's explorer doesn't update and doesn't detect autoruns, however the content can still be accessed.

EDIT:

Actually, PCem only emulates a CD drive, so only 9660/joliet is supported by guests; no UDF.