Are my settings ok according to my host pc?

Support and general discussion.
Solstar82

Are my settings ok according to my host pc?

Post by Solstar82 »

hello all,i've been using pcem quite extensively lately,though i have to address a couple of issues i'm having,which i don't know if are related to the emu itself or my host pc.

my host pc specs are:

I5-4460 3.20 ghz

8 gb ram

geforce gtx 750 2 gb

windows 10 x64

the pc i'm trying to emulate is this one

using windows 98.it works ok,though many windows games have a lot of stuttering\crackling on the audio department,some games require me to put the cache to "infinite"(like quake 2,using 3dfx settings)and most of the dos games have various degree of fail...

duke 3d runs extremely slow(in.game resolution set at 640x480,i tried 320x200 but little changed)with various oscillating speed(keep in mind that pcem speed is usually around 99\100\101%),sometimes it runs ok if i scale the vlb speed(or the cache speed)but it lasts only for some seconds,before becoming slow again.its a little bit faster if i run it in pure dos mode.

tekwar:runs ok only if i set the vlb speed to "mid vlb\pci",anything else,both resolution or cache speed,just make it slow as molasses

descent 2:tried at 640x480,again slow,only in cockpit mode the game is somewhat playable.whatever setting i tinker with,the game is just unaffected.again,somewhat faster in pure dos mode.

any help? :\
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Are my settings ok according to my host pc?

Post by SarahWalker »

PCem-X isn't supported here, so I don't know what effect any of the changes on that version will have on performance. Try regular PCem and see if it's any different.

I'd advise in general having cache set to 'infinite', as the cache emulation is fairly bad. It will kill the performance on many games.

Duke 3D runs quite badly on the dynamic recompiler, due to heavy use of self modifying code. Tekwar I think uses the same engine? and therefore will probably have the same problem. You're unlikely to get beyond 486 speed on either.

You said when talking about Duke 3D that PCem was sticking at around 100% - is that the case for all the games you're having trouble with?
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

SarahWalker wrote:PCem-X isn't supported here, so I don't know what effect any of the changes on that version will have on performance. Try regular PCem and see if it's any different.

I'd advise in general having cache set to 'infinite', as the cache emulation is fairly bad. It will kill the performance on many games.

Duke 3D runs quite badly on the dynamic recompiler, due to heavy use of self modifying code. Tekwar I think uses the same engine? and therefore will probably have the same problem. You're unlikely to get beyond 486 speed on either.

You said when talking about Duke 3D that PCem was sticking at around 100% - is that the case for all the games you're having trouble with?
i don't use pc-em x..where do you see i'm using it??

if i set "infinite" many games (except quake 2 and generally win games)will crawl,including windows 98 on idle

yes,most if not all games i try have the throttle at 100\101 % at best,and still be slow
You're unlikely to get beyond 486 speed on either.
its because of my host machine?or it the current state of the emu?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Solstar82 wrote:i don't use pc-em x..where do you see i'm using it??
Well that configuration dialogue isn't from standard PCem...
You're unlikely to get beyond 486 speed on either.
For those games, it's the current state of the emulator.
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

well but as you can see here,it says pcem 10.1...

http://imgur.com/79YAi5V

can you please tell me how its supposed to be the standard config window?
Last edited by Solstar82 on Thu 12 May, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lekendri

Post by Lekendri »

SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Standard PCem v10.1 is http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/files/PCemV10.1Win.zip. Anything different is not standard v10.1.